Another winter arrives and it's time for another project.
This one started with the idea of an old dynamite
magneto plunger. I opened my design software and
started putting my thoughts together. I started with a
2" PVC pump body.
The piston rod is 1" PVC with a 2" plumber's
adjustable rubber test plug as a piston.The cap at
the top of the pump body has 4 holes drilled into
it to allow air to vent on the upstroke.
From the 2" PVC Tee, I placed a 2-1½" reducer
on each end. Into these reducers, I added the
1½" True Union Swing Check Valves.
These valves have screw on / off ends for easy
cleaning so I secured the 1½" suction and
discharge hoses to each end.
At the discharge end, I fabricated a header / spreader
from 2" PVC. I cut and glued two 4" pieces of PVC pipe into
a 2" PVC Tee. That gave me 12" total width.
I cut an 1½" wide x 10" slot into PVC then glued the end
caps in place.This header spreader is supported over
the sluice with aluminum brackets screwed into each end cap.
Into the other end of the 2" Tee, I placed a 2-1½" reducer.
I did not glue this in, since there is no pressure. I then glued
a 45 in place. With the reducer not glued, I can swing it into
any position. In the picture, I have it set up in one
of my clean up sluices.I won't be using this sluice.
Instead, I'll be using a Bazooka 36" Prospector. I think this sluice
will be the perfect setup for the 1"+ material that the Bottom
Feeder will be delivering. A quick test with some ¼" to 1"
tailings I had around the garage proved my design idea.
The header / spreader dumped material across the entire
10" wide slot. The pump volume is right around .4 gallon.
All I need now is the Bazooka 36" Prospector
and the month of July to hurry up and get here so that
I can start pumping pay through the Bottom Feeder.
This is a two person system...one on the pump and the
other on the suction hose. Perfect for my mining partner
wife and I.